WILLIAM LESTER (1927-2007)
Lester moved to Dallas in 1924, where he initiated art studies with his fellow Regionalist Alexandre Hogue (1928) and enrolled at the Dallas Art Institute, studying under Olin Travis and Thomas M. Stell, Jr. Lester worked as a draftsman for the Dallas Power and Light Company under the Contemporary Dallas artist Charles Bowling (1929-32, 1935-36, 1942), and as a staff artist for the Civilian Conservation Corps near Palo Duro Canyon and at Fort Sill, Oklahoma (134-35). He taught at the Dallas Museum of Art before moving to Austin for the remainder of his career. Lester taught at UT until his retirement as professor emeritus in 1972 (chair of art department, 1952-54). After settling in Austin, Lester traveled extensively, painting the Texas coastal region and mountains in the western part of the state. He held brief teaching stints at Sul Ross State College, Alpine, and traveled frequently to Mexico, France, and Italy.
Selected Biographical and Career Highlights
Selected Public Collections